Thursday, July 17, 2008

Strummer

Watching the Joe Strummer movie , realized I saw him live twice. Once in the Clash in 1982 in Pittsburgh, PA, then in 2002 in The Mescaleros. Venue for the latter was the Filmore. Though Mescaleros weren't the epic band that The Clash were, Joe had more life to him at the latter show. He was in his element, couldn't keep your eyes off him, the music was great.

In 2002 I had never been to the Filmore before! I had given up on live music for a while after over spending on too many bad arena shows. Joe got me back into live shows.

As to the earlier show, The Clash played in this little gym on the CMU campus, and I was right up against the stage, all of 16 years old. Even though they were big they were playing the small venues. I was feeling Joe's spit as he churned through the songs. By 1982 that same punk energy wasn't there, but he still gave it his all.

Uncle Joe dying was a sad day. The movie's pretty good. Made mostly for the hardcore fan.



3 comments:

runjoelrun said...

Sorry, YouTube seems to have taken away all the Clash/Strummer videos!

Are all music videos gone? What gives? Anyone?

runjoelrun said...

And they all worked as recently as last night!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to track them down...I've been waiting for this movie for a long time.

I too have see Joe twice (kinda). The first time was in a Skate-rink in AllenPark Mi. around '79...I left after just one song when my very recently ex-girlfriend showed up w/ her very new boyfriend.

The 2nd time was in '82 at the Pontiact Silverdome opening for the WHO. I'm pretty sure I was the only punk in the audience...and went completely horse singing along to "police on my back".