Monday, May 28, 2007

shame on me

Strange race for the Memorial Crit in the p/1/2 today. Felt like no attack was going to stay off, but I kept waiting cause I haven't been in one that hasn't had a break stick to date (admittedly only four races). So I go with the first attack of course, mostly just to get a wake up call, but it took me over a lap to catch Paul Penn and others so probably wasn't advisable.

Decided to sit in for a bit, and for a while the pace was really slow, which made me nervous. Halfway through we had some hard laps as some attacks started to look dangerous. I managed to bridge up to a big one of eight riders that I thought had a chance, with Riggs and other team representation, but that got caught.

Finally, with less than 10 to go, the real attack went. I didn't give it much attention at first cause it didn't have Lombardi or the one BMC rider, or VMG, but they got a big gap in no time! It was Coble, Vince Owens (always finds the break, maybe he's in all the breaks), Reaney (CalGiant, with alot of teammates), Paulsen (Safeway), DeltaVelo.

With 8 to go, there was a lot of fragmentation, and I managed to get into a four person break in no man's land but it wasn't working too well together. Still, thought that will all the teams not chasing maybe we could stay away. As I was getting worried, a blur of the white and black VMG kit came flying by. This is the US national youth development team, Eric Riggs and Dan Halloway. I was able to jump on their wheel thinking this was it. I usually like to think I work hard in these things, but now I'm thinking there was two of them, Riggs can win this thing: let THEM do the work. I pulled some but tried to conserve and now we're at 2 to go!

Riggs sits up with 1 to go and I let Halloway pull me. I do take a short pull on the back stretch, but I never looked back I figured we were clear of the field and then we see the six in front of us. I'm all proud of myself thinking I could get into the top five, maybe better. While thinking all that through a BMC jersey comes flying by me on the left, then a bunch of other guys. We had been caught! I had no awareness at all. I could have worked a bit more too.

They semi caught the break too. Four of the six finished ahead of the field but that was it. Coble was caught. Vince Owens, soon to be a Cat 1, got third.

Lesson learned. Be more aware and don't be so selfish I guess. Lots of fun though. Andy JacquesMaynes just about killed himself headlong into tree in that last turn. Hope he's OK.

3 comments:

mrenglander said...

Joel,

Nice report.
I think AJM hit a lamp post that had no padding. I hope he's alright

Mark R

runjoelrun said...

From http://calgiantcycling.blogspot.com:


Andy Jacques Maynes crashed today in the final lap of the Memorial Day Crit in Morgan Hill. He was air lifted to Valley Medical Center in San Jose were he is in ICU for the next 24 hours. The preliminary report from the doctors is a broken collarbone, bruised lung and bruised ribs. They are keeping him in ICU because of the bruised lung. Josie and his immediate family are there with him and he was alert and even told Ben not to come home from Mt Hood ,but to "Go race your bike". We will update everyone as I get new information

runjoelrun said...

More info on AJM at the NCNCA website: http://www.ncncaracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=816