Tuesday, May 29, 2007

trek to the track

Went to the track Saturday, partly interested in the new construction there and also to do my first "Wednesday Night Races" even though they are held Saturday at noon.

I'm definitely out of sorts there. Seems like there is a certain procedure for getting ready and presenting yourself aside from the actual racing. For example: are you supposed to change on the track or in your car (on the track seems to be 'in')? how early can I get there to warm up (alot earlier that I showed up apparently)?

So I tried to sign up for the C's but when they found I was 2 on the road said I needed to do the B's. Plus if I wanted to get the auto upgrade to the 3's you need to do this anyway. In the A's there was some serious firepower with Ben JacquesMaynes, Hernandez, two BMG, two VMG(Halloway and Riggs) and some other strong guys. The B's were tough too with Jeff Paulsen trying out the track for the first time.

I tried to run a warm up gear but didn't give myself time enough to change it so I did the first 'Snowball' event in a 48/17. I looked like Jimbei/hamster out there and still couldn't hang. Think everyone had a good laugh at that. Lot's of questions about whether I had another gear. I did have a 15 and ran that which still left me spun out. I guess that puts me at 86 inches. For comparison Hernandez was running 88 and BJM was running 92!

Things went a little better in the 10 lap scratch. After two laps I got all over excited, took a really hard pull and found myself a straightaway free of the group. Figured I may as well have a go at it. Long story short they catch me on the last sprint! Ended up getting 4th (http://www.ridethetrack.com/blog/res_wed.html).

Points race I did the A/B race with the big boys. It was 60 laps with sprints every 10, making it like a mini p/1/2 crit. I didn't get one point unfortunately. BJM lapped us solo with 20 to go. Still it was fun and I didn't get dropped.

Will definitely be heading back. I'm probably a 3 now with the new policy on 2's becoming 3's after performing the 'written test'. Will shoot for some results on Wednesday nights (http://www.ridethetrack.com/upgrade.html). I've got a lot to learn as far as tactics.

Hoping I can get my brother and Justin for some Wednesday night action. Sean?

1 comment:

Mike Hardy said...

I used to ride the track a ton and still have some old cogs laying around that can spin on one of my tri-spokes.

I may show up one of these days as that makes it reasonable to rent a rig there as you don't have to worry about their gears.

Note that if you buy a disc wheel (and you want one anyway, right?) you can usually spin track cogs on it. Dual-use! Easy to justify!