Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Santa Rosa 35+ Race

My enthusiasm once again outmeasures my race smarts....



The race started pretty slow and I wanted to speed things up. Took a flyer, not really thinking that it would turn into much, but once Nathan (Infovista) was taken up to me the dye was cast.



We went medium hard for ten minutes and got a good gap. Started to see a chase of 4 or 5 riders that turned out to be two Clovers, one Strawberry, one VOS? I laid it on hard for two laps and couldn't see them anymore. Out of sight out of mind, but more on them later.



With 10 to go we could see the back of the pack. I didn't want to lap cause I knew Nathan had a plethera of teammates to help him win, so I started to go easier, but we couldn't really avoid getting in there with their speed and the fact that there was a chase behind, so in we went.



Right off the bat the talk of the end game starts and I'm all alone, so with three to go I attack the pack and get away. Some guy in light blue (ala Astana, see pic) takes it upon himself to help Nathan up to me. Not sure what this guy was up to. Nathan sits on my wheel and wouldn't work for the last two laps since he wants me to go back to the pack with him, or have me take him to the line for a win. Not a good situation. Tried to shame him into it, but...



Just before the last turn I can see Bubba Melcher burst out of the pack making a beeline for us. I didn't think that the chase had also lapped but obviously they did. I start to sprint to at least salvage second but was pretty cooked from being on front for three laps. Nathan didn't even see Bubba so should be happy with the win, cause he almost got him at the line, and did get me. Third was a little bitter after all that work.



I'll bring the teammates next time.

Thanks to Carol for the photos!

3 comments:

Carol G said...

It was a blast shooting your guys race, Joel. You make it easier to take pics when you stay in the front. ;-) Hope you take 1st place at your next race. Go, speedracer, go!

runjoelrun said...

Thanks for the pics Carol, very nice indeed.

I drove all the way to Dinuba to win the 35+ race there, in an attempt to make up for Santa Rosa. Course the teammates helped there too.

Carol G said...

Awesome, Joel! You're such a hardcore racer but still a humble guy off the bike. Very refreshing. I wish you & your teammates a very successful racing season.

See ya out on the road.