Sunday, September 14, 2008

Anti SFT weekend

Got a little turned off by the 'invitation only' thing on Saturday (I was a spectator however). For riding, I decided to try out the new Folsom Omnium. Bit of a sleepy afair, yes, but it was fun. The courses were good, and the staff were... learning.

Stage 1: 10 mile TT
Stage 2: Folsom crit, same as the OTHER Folsom crit, but backwards.
Stage 3: The highlight: an amazing 1.5 mile circuit race with chicanes, hairpin, tunnel, two bridges, headwind/roller section.

I did the timing and decided I could both the 35+ and the p1/2 omnium, with no expectations. Rolled the TT, felt better in the second one. Did the crits: small fields, but pretty fun. Paulsen won the crit which put him first in the 35+. ZTeam did a good job to win the p1/2 crit putting Lyman first there.

Stage 3 35+: Paulsen just up and told me beforehand he would be exactly one wheel behind me cause I needed three wheels to beat him overall. Dan got in the 6 man break which I knew I couldn't bridge to cause Dan would stop working. I Won the pack sprint with Jeff on my wheel. At least I'm rested for the next race, plus 2nd overall, cause they wouldn't let me work at all.

Stage 3 P1/2: we get a lot more guys than the day before cause all the SFT guys came over. Attacks come quick and a five man break forms. I manage to bridge with no response from ZTeam who lost track of me. Six man break goes to a three man break with me, Tyler, and JD. Game over. I work a bunch cause I'm the only GC guy in there. Manage to win the Omnium out of it, with a good payout to boot.

Hopefully Folsom people will put this on again next year, with lessons learned. Great courses, good fun. Here's something you've never seen: there was a light rail train that they halted as the group came through. Stopping train for a local ride? Nice!

Sidenote: Keith points out to me the dried pool of blood today, from the Cat 3 race I believe. Jesus: never seen that before. Anyone got details? Was the guy ok? Wish I hadn't seen that.

2 comments:

jrennie said...

Nice job in both categories Joel. Well earned.

Anonymous said...

Nice job joel. 1st and 2nd overall. You da' man. Umm, tried the beer training program...and put on 4 lbs. WTF man! It's supposed to make me fast like you ;-).

-t