Monday, September 10, 2007

Benicia

And I thought my season was over...

Couldn't help but head out for another event. 1)close to home 2)good money 3)I love to race.

The course is really nice. It's got a Vacaville like hill (OK, little smaller), then little descent, smaller hill, turn to a short rise, turn to the finish. Lots of crashes! Luckily I wasn't involved, but the Tues Port ride took a hit as both Hanan and Carla crashed in the p1/2/3 race. Carla looked a lot worse for it, hope she's OK. Then Roman (OK, only shows up on occasion at the Port, but still) took a bad spill in the p1/2 race. Please comment if you have news on Carla or Roman, I had heard that both took a trip to the hospital.

Masters race was interesting, the field being small the pace was somewhat on the slow side. I took off from the gun to try to speed things up but never got a really big gap and the only taker was a Morgan Stanley rider who wasn't going to work, so... back to the drawing board. Sat and watched as breaks formed and were caught. Then with 10 laps to go or so, a Squadra rider took a flyer and a Mako rider then bridged. Thought it looked promising, so I bridged up as well. It wasn't the smoothest break but it stuck. Two to go I pulled a bunch cause the other guys were prematurely playing the end game I thought, field was getting close. Last lap, I gapped them a bit on the hill, but they got on my wheel again after. Ended in a dead sprint, in which I got second. After five weeks of Cal Cup Velo promo races (which I love) the nice payout was a shocker.

P1/2 race was a lot faster, and the breaks more threatening. Same as always! CalGiant showed up and was the only team really, and with another small field I knew we were in for some trouble. Sure enough it was: CalGiant break, try to bridge or organize break, catch; CalGiant break, try to bridge or organize break, catch....

Four guys were off the front for a long time, and mostly through the work of three or four guys they were caught with five to go or so. I was pretty cooked from all this, including being in no man's land for four or five laps. I was glad to be in top ten in the sprint, but wanted more...

Near the end, ClifBar guy went down right in front of me and I hear two tire pops, which was very confusing. Sounded like another rider went down behind me as well, and I saw Switters later and he had gone down. Any information would be appreciated. It was like the Kennedy Assasination out there, trying to piece together what happened.

Nice work for Ian Swinson who got two 4th's in the 4's too. Stephen Langone also went down and broke his nice carbon handlebars (aluminum works well in crits Steve). He seemed to be fine though.

5 comments:

karla said...

Hey Joel, thanks. I'm OK - no trip to the hospital, although it was recommended (just to get x-rays.) I just got some nasty road rash and a dislocated shoulder. An AWESOME emergency room doctor (or nurse, not sure), Steve, popped it back into place on the side of the course. He didn't tell me it was dislocated before he did it so that I wouldn't freak out. And then the thing popped back into place, and I was like "WTF??"

So now it's just tegaderm, ice and advil, and hopefully I'll be back on the bike in a week or so.

Anonymous said...

The clif Bar rider somehow blew both his wheels coming out of the turn and I just grabbed a little too much break and my bike just slip out from under me before I knew it. Just a lot of road rash, but thats bike racing for you.

Anonymous said...

Get well, Karla!

There has been a big discussion over on Olaf's page about the Roman crash. Looks like he's going to be ok.

Good racing with you yesterday, when are you hanging up your wheels for the season though?

It was a well organised race, with great prize money, I took home more than it cost me to race, and I only placed 5th & 10th. Excellent, I could manage to buy some pizza for the kids afterwards.

runjoelrun said...

No kidding that Olaf's page has a discussion going. Christ's sake... Glad Roman's OK, glad Adam is OK, Karla (sorry for mispelled name earlier), and Hanan too was fine! She rolled and just got some bruises and very small abrasions. Everyone was up and walking in the end sounds like.

Usually it's me that goes down behind the guy with the blown tire (Vacaville).

I had a lot of fun racing yesterday anyway.

Carol G said...

Congratulations on placing 2nd in the masters race, Joel. Buen hecho!