Friday, September 28, 2007

last thread of the season is broken

The very very very last race was Thursday night racing at the track last night. The A's had BJM, Roman, Steve Paleaz and other tough characters. There were only eight so Larry went with the format where the A's do 60 laps behind the B's without contesting then do their own race. Not all the A's abided by this and sat out the B's here and there but the A's race was fun nonetheless. It was fast, with very little protection from a pack. In addition I was experimenting with 50X14, a whopping 96 inches! It was a bit big but man, once we were rolling, it was actually pretty good. We were hitting speeds over 30 mph pretty often, will be curious to see our average if Larry provides it.

Before the 10 laps to go sprint I was tied with Roman for third which set up an interesting battle. There were only four of us that hadn't lost a lap and I managed to take one position ahead of Roman at the 10 to go. He attacked after that to try to get me for the final but I stayed on his wheel and he couldn't get away. I was pretty happy with 3rd being my best A's points finish to date.

Thanks to Larry for the beer, though it almost made me pack in before the race and just watch the race sipping on Tecate's.

Thank god it's only three months to the first early bird... I'm already thinking about it...

3 comments:

Mike Hardy said...

junky ;-)

Taking Roman out is great - that's a really fantastic result. I'd say you're on form but really it just seems like more of the same for you - that being that it seems like your body is still just slowly/steadily adjusting to the volume you've been tossing at it for you two years and your results are slowly and steadily adjusting up too.

It'd be a form thing if it was on-again/off-again, but the only time I've seen you slow down in a year and a half is injury. What're you going to do for an encore next year? Start taking two laps on the M35 crits? Just not taking anyone with you for single laps is maybe the ticket ;-)

I'm trying to think about how to take it up a notch before the early birds - but this week, this week I ain't doin' nothin'

Feels good to let everything rest a bit. Are you taking any time off?

runjoelrun said...

Define time off I guess? No racing, no hard rides, but ride I will. Ride to work, ride easy weekends. Think I'll keep up the port too, though I'm getting the fixie back to street shape, hoping to get everyone else to do the same?

Roman, if you read my blog, ignore Mike's comments here about 'taking you out'. Just a little exuberance...

Mike Hardy said...

Exuberant indeed - I've gone all fanboy (in a sincere way) on Roman when I saw him on a TT tune-up ride just going up Tunnel with my wife because I think it's cool if anyone can get paid anything to ride a bike, and I obviously hope no one take's anyone out, physically.

Except in the standings, where I obviously hope any one wearing my colors goes all gang-style on anyone wearing anyone else's colors and takes them out. Because we're silly that way ;-)

But seriously, I'll take your answer to mean no time off period - like not even a week of just sitting around, which is interesting.

I lasted three days off, incidentally. Then I rode both days this weekend. Pretty easy, once with the wife (but 50 miles with her! Go Teresa) then a longish ride today.

Long ride season has begun. Good luck with the fixie at the port, maybe I'll finally be able to ride you off my wheel for a change...