Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Track/Sacramento/Memorial Day Racing

Never posted on the overall weekend of racing (tho you can see race reports at the Sierra Pacific blog).

The brave soul could have raced four venues this past Memorial Day weekend (I'm buying beer for anyone that can add Comments saying they did this).

It was:

-Hellyer Friday Night for the Hernando show.

-Golden State's New (sometimes) course Saturday

-Mt Hamilton Logistical Nightmare Sunday

-A wind-less Memorial Day Crit on Monday


1) Hellyer Highlights for Friday night? I was embarrased to be booted out of the 3/4 Miss n Out. The week before they were letting in all 40+ I think, so I assumed I could race. No, I couldn't. I'm starting to like the Miss n Out and was able to top five again in P1/2. Gio was playing the 'devil' and sniping the last rider the whole race! When my time came, I obliged.

The mystery pts race? Eh, it was alright. If you guessed the bells correctly it was good. I didn't. Celebrity guest bell ringers?? Mark Patten?? He didn't even wear his skinsuit.

Tired of getting schooled by Dan Smith in the 40+ Scratch race. He's won both in the series.

2) Golden State Great new 180 turn. Which made it especially irritating when they removed it in the middle of the 5's race! Made the negative Masters even more negative.

Need to learn techniques when being taken to the curb (plow on through? Protest? I've heard suggestions of initiating fist fights... not my style).

Nice work Brian J of TO for winning the 4's. He'll be a very good addition to the 3's. He was in our Port break of four last night and I have a feeling he'll be more than holding his own in the new field.

3) Mt Ham Didn't do it. Jesse Friese crashed and I hope he's doing well. Francesca did her first p1/2/3 race and it sounded like tons of fun.

Some Davis guy rides solo away from 3 Giant, Cozza, and Wohlberg. Gotta love that.

4) Morgan Hills Crit Always like this race... when there is more wind! There was very little wind which meant there not a break to be had all day (someone correct me if I missed one). 35+ race was actually pretty fun: the boys in black and blue did really well. Lot of firepower in p1/2 but came down to a bunch sprint as well.

Never seem Tim G get angry before. Thought I was going to have to break up a fist fight in the reg line. Something about cutting in line, drug allegations...

Mel gets another point. Oh yeah... Toby got his Cat 3 upgrade too! We'll see him Saturday in the 35+ race. Should be fun.


Chance to do this all again this weekend: Another Friday Night Track, Dash for Less Cash, then Dunlap TT!

4 comments:

TommyC said...

Joel -
The 1/2/3's was a blast...rumor has it we were around 30mph avg. for the whole shebang.

Nice leadout/setup for Brian too. Seems to me you 3 pretty much dominated the race.

They screwed up the #'s and results for the 45's in that race...I was was both 10th in the 35's and 8th in the 45's...either 15th or 25th over all.

In two places at once, but neither in the money ;-)....again :-(

Still a great race.

beth bikes! said...

whoa. that made me tired just reading it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joel! It was a nice win Saturday and a great time in the break at the Port. Looking forward to more of both :-)

veloandvino said...

just doing track and TWO TT's thie weekend.

see ya tonight.