Saturday, August 16, 2008

I kid you not.

This is me on bee venom. One mile before the finish of Winter's 35+ race one landed on my lip and stung. It was a race to the finish before the inevitable face swell-up. Maybe that sped my sprint for the win, cause I knew I needed some Benedryl quick!

We established a five man break early on in the race, a couple miles in. It was Chis Carscadden, Chris Wire, Dan Bryant, and a Chico Rider. Chris C couldn't get up the second climb with us, so four finished in the break. The Chico rider was kind enough to lead it out from 500 yrds or so. I came around him just before the finish, with Dan right on my wheel.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats today Joel! Well deserved. Man that bee got you good! It just kept swelling. Rest up. See you tomorrow.
Jack

~ lauren said...

good lord! look at that swelling.

hope the swelling's gone down by now. and good job today!

MoMoneyHoney said...

Chico = Mike Cordova (I think). Nice lip dude!

Anonymous said...

Nice job...and nice lip mate! No wonder you looked shocked at the finish. http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/5722010_r8otE/1/353195549_mbVGn/Medium

Anonymous said...

Nice Pic Joel!

I had one do the same on my commute home a few years ago. The bugger tried to go up my nose then stung my lip! That lip feels HEAAVY, huh?


steve

phipps said...

Joel,

Congrats on the win!
I'd love to beat Dan Bryant some day too.

Sorry to hear about the bee sting. Bees seem to like to sting me when they can and I swell up pretty bad too.

Chris

karla said...

Wow, that is a hilarious photo. Nice job on the win :)

Have we found a 4th yet for the track/san ardo trip?

veloandvino said...

joel, i won a race in minden after getting stung on the pecker. seriously.

Anonymous said...

well least you finally had some girth on that thing! ;-) J/K couldn't resist