Monday, July 16, 2007

Lafayette

Tried to get out to the races yesterday. Felt terrible waking up though, but wanted to go out and give it a go. Plus it was to be John Wilk's inagural p1/2 start, with Haydn as well. Well I wasn't much of a teammate though John was great, finishing top fifteen in the race, and with plenty of confidence too. Haydn finished with him.

Haydn's real heroics were in the Master's race. He was in an early break which didn't stick, CVC was chasing hard behind. Then there was later 3 man attack that Haydn bridged up to with a lot of effort. Another rider made it up after and the five of them stuck. There was a big chase group of 10 that got as close as 10 seconds but couldn't work enough together to help. The peloton was another 10 to 15 seconds behind them. Haydn was pretty worked over by the time the sprint came, plus I think that the experienced riders used him up a bit in the last couple of laps.

I felt terrible to begin with in the p1/2. Tried to shake it off with some attacks up the rise but realized that in fact, I really was feeling terrible. So after that I was hanging on the back of the peloton, watching the blown tires and crashes go off. Had to bow out of the Master's race.

Anyway, will regroup for the AVC this weekend.

1 comment:

Mike Hardy said...

I'm only half-surprised - you looked comfy at the House Of noPain ride, but we were really toodling. An infection and antibiotics will take the wind out of anyone's sails. Plenty of time pre-CalCup though. And maybe turning the intensity down a hair for a regrouping week or two is a positive in that respect. There's still a few left to get the last block of training in.

With respect to John and Haydn, I saw those results, and I've got to admit I'm jealous of John now. I just about expect it from Haydn though that shouldn't take anything away from his rides.

Just racing with John the couple of outings I did was very motivating though. I'm training as hard as I know how to get in that kind of shape...it isn't too far out of reach I hope