Monday, June 11, 2007

Pescando para puntos

Pescadero Coastal Classic RR: a race I've done every year (meaning third time). Funny, cause first I did the 2 lap version, then the 3 lap version, and on Saturday did the 4 lap version. I like the long RRs so definitley planned on this one. In addition, they were picking the 2's separately, which is a mixed blessing as I will show later. It was my first p/1/2 RR, about 60 starting riders.

There were a handful of pros out there which was intimidating: I didn't know who Barry Wickes was, but he sounded and looked scary. 6'4" maybe, 200 pounds, national Cyclocross champion. Also there were Roman Kilun, Jamiel, a BMC and a Rock Racing rider (Kevin Klein). There were almost ten CalGiant riders, five BPG, no other real team presence.

First time around was pretty tame. Briggs and a BPG rider went off the front from the gun, getting up to 2.5 minutes on us, but noone seemed concerned. This being my longest RR ever, was determined to conserve, reaching back to my Cat 4 roots. I've learned to be aggressive in the p/1/2 Crits, but until I knew more about my legs at 100+ miles....

First time over Haskins, Roman and others are laughing and joking on the climb. Now, I didn't think it was hard, but I wasn't cracking jokes either. I was happy to get a pass. Second time over Stage Rd, I experienced my first real peloton bathroom break. The call went out, everyone stopped (except for some skeptical 2's) and took a piss. Really nice and civil I thought...

Then comes second time over Haskin's. I'm not a numbers guys so I can't give you much data, but man it was painful, much faster. I was dangling off the back of the main group of 15 riders or so, just stuck in there. We didn't gap a second group of 15 enough though, and they back on, so not sure I needed to kill myself so much, but that's easy to say in retrospect. I'm glad I was safely in there.

The attacks third time up 84 were much more furious. Briggs had already been caught (I saw him in the follow vehicle!), but another CalGiant and Chris Swan were up the road. A group of six got away to chase early on 84, with two CalGiants sitting on. I thought now was a good time for an effort, so I decided to bridge. Managed to get on without too much work. Break was Ted Huang, Rock Racing guy, some others. I didn't think it looked great though with so many sitting on. Turned out to work out well though: we took Haskin's relatively easy, got caught at the top, and caught the two man break, but the Peloton had to hit the climb hard while I was rested.

Last time around and I'm not feeling the miles as badly as I had thought I might. Another two man break. This time its Lieto (CalGiant, 7th at Mt Hood overall) and Barry Wicks. Chasing seemed a little anemic, the pack seeming to settle into a race for third. Roman tried, but couldn't get away. I have to admit I was starting to race the other 2's, not the whole group. But given that there weren't enough 2's to make points, not sure that was a good idea. Should have just raced the whole group, and now that I have a race under the belt, I will next time.

There was a lot of anxiety leading up to the finishing climb on Haskin's. There were 10 2's left in the group, and another 15 p/1's. I decided to just sit on the back and watch this time. Patience, patience. I could see Doran (ClifBar) working to stay fourth wheel or so. Was watching three Chris's: Coble, Swan, and Phipps (usually in Masters) all looking dangerous. They were all more relaxed further back.

Quickly enough a group of five with Roman hit the bottom hard and gapped the next group. I was in the back of that next group of ten or so, but was feeling good, and just slowly passed on the right trying to avoid Kevin Klein who kept veering over. With 1K to go, it was Doran, looking taxed from being at the front, Chris Swan and Coble in front of me. I surged by them all in the saddle, taking Swan and Coble with me. Chris Swan beat us in the 3's last year, and I expected him to haul off again, but he couldn't do it. I was hoping to gap, and pushed a little harder, but still had Coble on my wheel. I got out of the saddle and tried to punch but found there was little left. Christian from BPG fell off the group ahead and was veering across the road. I had to go around him, which put me level with Coble, and I couldn't punch more and he got ahead of me at the line.

Happy to be 8th overall, and 2nd in the 2's. Next time, no more race within a race against the 2's! Probably won't count for points, if they demand 60 starting 2's.

Chava and Phipps died early on in the last climb, which I didn't expect. Evan Picket, Stanford rider in his first p1/2 race looked really good in the race. He won EMC in an impressive solo break last week.

I'm sure I was the only one in the last group AND had a teenager in the feed zone. Too bad that doesn't count for anything...

No comments: