Sunday, June 3, 2007

feeling it...

Had a good day in the industrial park today. EMC Crit has always treated me well, first time I was ever on the podium two years ago in the 4's and first time I got points in the 3's last year.



The course was windy, good sign. More chances for breaks. In the Master's race we had a team out there! Tom and Sean rode over and James was there as well. James took an early turn at the front. Tom went off the front on a prime lap. The support helped. 25 minutes or so left, a break formed with Bosch and another CVC, Nolan, Delta Velo, Reaney (CalGiant), seven total. We stayed off with a pretty comfortable gap. Last lap I waited on Reaney to bridge to Nolan, but he didn't, so I was stranded, and had to use a match to get back on before turn three but I was pretty cooked by then. I had to settle for fifth.


Waited around for the p/1/2 race, hung around making fun of James who was waiting for the 3's.



I was pretty sleepy by the time the race started and spent the first half thinking to myself that I would just hang out, maybe give the pack sprint a chance! With 30 minutes to go though, a good break went. Bob Neuman (DeltaVelo) has been riding well, Owens (CVC), CalGiant, and another rider (CMO Council maybe?) They were building a good gap and I was in a good position to attack into turn four, so went for it.



Coble and an Owens Healthcare rider went with me. Coble wasn't feeling well, and fell off. Owens and I worked a while together but he was starting to wane, we had been trying for a lap and a half and there was still 30 yards to make up. I decided to just sprint it, leaving the other guy and got on! I was hurting to be sure but was able to skip a turn and relax.



Not everyone was working equally, Bob was the driving force. He was hitting 32 mph on sections routinely. With 6 or so to go, it sounded like we were being caught so I put in a big pull and we lost CalGiant and the other rider. At first I was worried cause there were a lot of Cal Giant riders (with radios Mike!) and I figured they would chase us hard, and now we only had three. Turned out to be a blessing, Bob and I really turn it up for a couple of laps, but Vince Owens was no good. He was hanging on by this point.



With two to go I could see the pack finally, gap had been up to 23 seconds or so and it was down to 15 or less. Just laid into those pedals as did Bob. With one to go, Bob stopped working. It's a game of chicken, who will pick up the pace so we don't get caught? You know it: I'm the patsy, and I gun it hard on the back section into the wind, hoping I could gap them at least, which I did just a little but not enough.



They got me at the last turn and I was cooked, they sprinted and Vince won, and I got the third. Wish Bob had won it instead but that's racing. Vince knew he had taken advantage...



So my first points.... EMC streak continues. First points in the 3's last year and in p/1/2 this...

1 comment:

runjoelrun said...

Chris Patterson has some pics of the race. Includes James' win.

http://www.jamfoto.net/gallery/2948668#159239597