Tuesday, June 19, 2007

POO ride


The 'Port of Oakland' Ride is on Tuesdays, I guess it's obvious where... it's a good crit simulation with 40 to 60 riders. The loop is 2.4 miles, usually we do 10 laps or so until time is up. Fast, good mix of riders. I've been measuring the speeds:

Here are the numbers from tonight June 19th. I think the wind was really up cause the average was a lot lower but the max was still high
Avg Max
24.4 34.6
26.5 36.4
26.9 31.4
26.8 35.7
25.8 36.1
26.5 33.1
25.1 32.0
25.8 33.0
25.7 31.3

There was this great moment: the first break went in the first lap or two with me, Haydn, Jimbei, Lombardi, Maury caught on. We went a lap and got partly caught at the end of the headwind section. Things fragmented, Maury attacked, I went, there was confusion, and Chad and Phil came by hard (I think that was the 36.4 mph max) and I had to work hard to get on their wheel and Hadyn caught on a quarter mile later. That was the winning move. Haydn, Chad, and I were able to settle into a good rotation and that was it. I love the attack, counterattack. Nice stuff....

2 comments:

Mike Hardy said...

So I show up with my new bike and am all ready to go only to discover that I feel like absolute crap the entire night. Now, I've been training about twice a week and flying about four times a week, but I feel worse than that.

Turns out the new bike's brake bolts weren't tight and the cable housings slowly pushed them off center.

I think my average speeds were 22-something. My HR was at normal POO levels though ;-)

Hope to see you at the front next week...

runjoelrun said...

My coach has always told me to race with my brakes OFF and I think it's good advice.