Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cal Cup beginning

Patterson Pass yesterday and Esparto today. Patterson was really hard, I had done it last year and did well, but that was in the 3's and there was no WIND. This year started with 60 or so and ended with 15-20 guys, which didn't include me. I made it over the 3rd climb fine but lost concentration on the second climb on the back and lost the pack... the wind coming down was amazing, first time riding the ZIPPs in the wind, big mistake. Just about got blown into the barbed wire fence.

Today at Esparto was more fun. I've only done two before and one was just a mess. So this is the second time that I've really worked on it well. I was 26.7 mph average for the 30K, making it in 41:03. Thought that was pretty good, but in this field (p1/2) was only 13th. Still, I think I can work off at least a minute, if not more.

Good to see Ryan get 5th in the 3's TT, as well as 5th yesterday in the RR. May put him in the lead of the Cal Cup. If Mike H gets back and does well next week could set up a good match (Ryan may have to get over his hatred of the Crit here, and ride that Giro).

1 comment:

Carol G said...

Congratulations on your finishing time at Esparto, Joel. Riding at 26+ mphs (without the benefit of drafting) for 40+ minutes? Dang, talk about a hard effort. I knew you would come out with a vengeance today after your misfortune on the course last year. ;-) Bien Hecho!!