Thursday, August 9, 2007

Ridin with the A's

Last night was my first time riding the A's from beginning to end at the track. Mixed bag: I was nervous and made a mistake as far as handling, luckily it all ended well. I took my lickings from the group. Live and learn. Wasn't able to garner any points though!

Attacked in the Win and Out with Doug Hall but was schooled by the old pros, catching us with a lap to go and leaving us both behind.

First time doing a standing start in the Chariots and that went even worse.

And, first time ever being called a 'negative racer'. Some kind of pent up anger by a guy having a bad season I think... Oh well, I love to get criticism: when it's coming from a good source and a cleaner mouth.

5 comments:

Mike Hardy said...

were you the mysterious person that caused the infield get-together over how to do things better that Hernandez mentioned?

Intrigue!

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

it wasn't mysterious, Joel owned up to an honest error in judgment. we talked about it in the infield, but really there was nothing to talk about. i thought mcKook went a far in his blathering about it, but overall - it was smooth and grownup-like.

Joel is a safe rider. anyone can make mistakes if they don't have the experience to anticipate action in the pack. i've done it.

Joel learns quick and rides steady.


luckily he's still not learned how to tow the pack and get it handed to him in the sprint.

cuz that helps me out tons!
;)

runjoelrun said...

Yup, I learned well that night (I was forementioned offender). As ov points out I learned a couple of things: first don't go uptrack last lap. Then I got so uptight up going uptrack that I towed the pack around for 6 laps or so before being blown away in the Tempo race.

I was thinking that mccook would actually come by cause I DID leave room for him below me from time to time. But most were content to sit in. I was hoping I could latch onto an attack coming by me, but instead I just got more and more cooked and couldn't respond to anything!

It could have worked in the B's, but not with this group: Roman, Hernando, Vigus, McCook, Don Langley, some BPG guy ;)

runjoelrun said...

Oh and ov: thanks for the props...

I've noticed the guys are protective of the track, and correctly are mistrusting of the new guy. So, making that early mistake was a bummer. Will be a better trackie... you'll see.

TommyC said...

Joel -
I'm surprised by the negative racing comment. It really sounds like someone either unclear on the nature of negative racing, or one that doesn't pay attention to your racing tactics. I wasn't at the track, but taking Sunday's 1/2/3 race into context...you were the most agressive rider in the peleton, bar none.

Seems like you're getting the hang of the track though.