Saturday, August 18, 2007

Dunnigan

Had a great time at the race today. Mostly cause the team did really well: we were represented in just about every break which meant we could sit back.

John got in the longest, for most of the first lap. It was promising from our viewpoint: seven guys or so? Switters was in it... When we caught them, I got away with Jarrod and Dribble from Davis. We went pretty hard but weren't able to make enough ground and were caught after 20-25 mins or so.

The next counter was started by Vince from CVC and did not look dangerous at first but then another five or so bridged and they got a pretty good gap. I and a Giant rider worked the front to keep the pace up at the front. With about 15 miles to go, Haydn and I got into a chase group of another seven or so. We quickly caught the break and kept on going. With 5 miles to go we had 30 seconds but it was closing. The group wasn't worked very well together. Four or five of the riders were doing most of the work. I tried to get Haydn to sit in and let me do his work for him, though Haydn did do some work. I would let gaps open behind Haydn if there was an attack and let the others chase. I figured either Haydn would get away or at least wear down the others.

With 1K to go the field was only five seconds behind. Dominic from AV attacked but died. At the overpass I attacked but so did another group. I settled into 8th wheel watching K Klein, hoping to jump on. When he did and won, I didn't follow very well, but Haydn got 4th right behind him. I got 8th. Good showing.

No comments: