Sunday, August 19, 2007

super geezers rule

It only occured to me an hour later that three of the top five at Suisun p12 race were over 40. I don't put myself in league with KKlein and Wohlberg (I did finish behind them), but we do share the age group. Badia made a bold move with 800 yrds to go, held off the field. It was me chasing, towing Chad, Eric, and Kevin with me. They all came around me before the line, but getting points with p12 crowd always makes me happy.

Also, was really good to have John W in the race with me. I know we're going to connect this thing for a win one day soon: today, I joined Riggs and KKlein diving turn one, last lap, and it was pretty dicey. Sounds like John lost my wheel here. Good to have a teammate to work for and work for you, etc. And he got his first p12 prime! Nice work John.

Luckily those other 40 yo's 'don't do' the Masters, cause I was able to win that one. Wasn't really planning on it, but Pasco and EMC went off the front from the gun. I got on, we were almost caught, Pasco and EMC sat up, then 3BRT got on with Shaw's. The three of us got a good gap, then after some laps I saw the back of the field! That really got me going hard, dropped Shaw's. 3BRT got pretty cooked but helped some, and we were able to latch on the back of the back of the pack. It was splintered in 3 when we got there, and we lapped 2 of those. I don't take this lightly, I've never lapped the field away from the track! Anyway, 3BRT got me nervous as far as whether he would or wouldn't contest the sprint. First he congratulated me with a lap to go, meaning no contest right? But then he seemed to be trying to get past me, so I laid on a 'sprint' to finish it off.

I didn't want a repeat of Mike Sayers at Santa Rosa this year: yelling cause of some miscommunication as to etiquette, who said what, etc. In the end, the finish line is the finish line and you gotta go over it first right?

Would like not to mention that I slid out in the P12 race, but that's what happened. In a six man break, I got waved through a little too close to turn four. I went too wide and slid out. Sorry to Buckley from Spine who slid with me. We both got back in the race though. Two kits and one tire aside, everything was fine. Thank god it was the rarer counter clockwise crit so I could fall on the left side, not the right, where things are still tender.

5 comments:

hanan said...

great job, a fine weekend of races!
~h

nosajpalnud said...

yeah - good job drivin' that break for the win.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

congrats on the win joel!

runjoelrun said...

Thanks guys! It's been a long time since I've won a race...

Wish I knew who's handles these are. pab is Jeff P, hanana I know, don't know who nosajpalnud is though.

nosajpalnud said...

Jason Dunlap

have seen you at a few races this year and I think Steve Griffiths may have introduced us at one point last year